[Histonet] Block patient IDs

Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Mon Mar 15 11:09:38 CDT 2010

Sometimes it is best to make changes in procedures not just because a regulatory agency requires it, but because it makes sense.  We have been using 2 patient identifiers on our blocks for many years.  I remember when I implemented it;  I got a lot of flack from the staff about how cumbersome it would be.  We still hand label all our cassettes and we do not have low volume.  If you asked my staff now, they would unanimously agree that it is a good requirement and has saved us on many occasions with mislabeled cassettes.  If the number is incorrect the name is almost always correct and vise versa.    I agree that it is only a matter of time before the regulatory agencies require it.   Why wait until it is required?  If it improves patient safety, implement it now.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical  Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804)228-6564