[Histonet] Block patient IDs

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Mon Mar 15 11:14:16 CDT 2010

I have to ask how you dispose of your blocks since there is now a
patient name on then?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:10 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Block patient IDs

Sometimes it is best to make changes in procedures not just because a
regulatory agency requires it, but because it makes sense.  We have been
using 2 patient identifiers on our blocks for many years.  I remember
when I implemented it;  I got a lot of flack from the staff about how
cumbersome it would be.  We still hand label all our cassettes and we do
not have low volume.  If you asked my staff now, they would unanimously
agree that it is a good requirement and has saved us on many occasions
with mislabeled cassettes.  If the number is incorrect the name is
almost always correct and vise versa.    I agree that it is only a
matter of time before the regulatory agencies require it.   Why wait
until it is required?  If it improves patient safety, implement it now.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical  Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804)228-6564