[Histonet] Negative controls

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Thu Mar 4 09:48:16 CST 2010

Hi Anita,

We are currently examining the negative control issue in our laboratory.  We also have Ventanas. We currently use a normal goat serum as our "non-immune" serum.  We are considering changing our SOP's to use the Ventana Neg Control Rabbit and Neg Control Mouse in dispensers.

Linda's suggestion of Biocare's Universal Negative Control Serum is intriguing.  It would seem regressive to go back to the days of delineating mouse/rabbit antisera, using separate dispensers for each, and a universal negative seems to be the way to go, especially when using universal DAB kits.  Using such a reagent would mean it could be applied to each case's negative control slide.

Linda or others, would such a negative control serum protocol include your most aggressive pretreatment?

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada