[Histonet] RE: Help Resurrecting Dried Fixed Tissue

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Wed Jun 23 11:32:49 CDT 2010

I once took tissue that had dried up after being fixed in formalin and soaked it in normal saline to rehydrate it.  Very small piece of skin that I soaked for about 3 hours.
Then placed the tissue back into formalin and reprocessed routinely.
It did not have the best morphology but is was usable.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Surgical Pathology
(585) 275-7210
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Parsons, Catherine [cparsons <@t> vt.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:16 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Help Resurrecting Dried Fixed Tissue

I am grasping at straws and hoping for ideas to salvage some formalin fixed tissue specimens.  I work in a research lab, and am quite new to histology and this particular lab.  A former student left formalin fixed tissue specimens that were stored in 70% ethanol.  Unfortunately, the seal failed on a few of the vials, the ethanol evaporated, and the tissue is a dried out disaster at the bottom of the vial.

Has anyone has any experience / luck rehydrating tissues?  Really, any information that I could possibly pull out of these specimens would be welcome.

Cathy Parsons