[Histonet] fume hood

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Thu Jun 17 08:13:45 CDT 2010

Hi Brandy,

I have recently had the opportunity to build a Path lab from scratch.
In the design we decided to completely separate the grossing area from
the microtomy and IHC area of the lab.  We built a "room within a room",
made it negative pressure, installed 2 Thermo elevating grossing
stations that are vented to the outside.  Since we are using the
hospital ventilation system in addition to the blowers built in to the
back draft, downdraft capabilities of the grossing stations, we were
able to set these to pull at 500 cfm each.  We also put 2 Peloris
processors, with their own charcoal filters, within this room.  The
result is that we are well under the limits for all fumes and, in the
event we get fresh tissue, we can segregate the area from the rest of
the lab.  Many labs that have to do autopsy on babies or near full term
fetus' use their grossing stations to do so.  Since we are in a separate
area, we can block these procedures from view.

We also put in a Labconco Fume hood (vented to the outside) in the IHC
area of the lab and a Thermo Bio Hood in the cytoprep area.  This has
all worked out very well for us and it affords us the opportunities to
have these items in place for future growth.  A renovation done
correctly, with an eye towards strategic planning for the future, will
go a long way towards saving the hospital money in the long run.

Steve Feher
Pathology Supervisor
Catholic Medical Center
Manchester, NH