[Histonet] Sakura Film Removal

Sharon Scalise sscalise <@t> beaumonthospitals.com
Thu Jul 29 14:37:10 CDT 2010

We use a 50-50 solution of xylene and acetone.  Depending on how long the coverslips have been on, it takes from 20 minutes to an hour for them to come off.  If you are not decolorizing and re-staining, don't leave them too long in the solution as the stain will start to come out.

Sharon E. Scalise, HTL (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
248 898-5981
sscalise <@t> beaumonthospitals.com

>>> "Paula Lucas" <plucas <@t> biopath.org> 7/29/2010 3:17 PM >>>
Hello all -

Is there a more effective and faster way to remove the film from the slide?
I had to decolorize a couple of H&E slides to do special stains, and it took
5 days for the film to remove. The slides were only a few days old and I
soaked it in fresh xylene.  I almost removed it too soon because the section
was starting to lift off with the film.

I appreciate the help

Paula Lucas

Lab Manager