[Histonet] Brain Problems

sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com sgoebel <@t> xbiotech.com
Tue Jul 27 10:01:03 CDT 2010

   Try  cooling down your water bath with ice before you cut the brai   All  CNS  tissue  will  act like you described.  You may end up w   more  wrinkles  with the cooler bath, but put the slides in a 70C oven
   fo
   Happy Cuttin
   Sarah Goebel, B.A., HT (ASCP)

   Histotechnician

   XBiotech USA Inc.

   8201 East Riverside Dr. Bldg 4 Suite 10
   Austin, Texas  78744

   (512)386-5107

   -------- Original Message --------
   Subject: [Histonet] Brain Problems
   From: "Poole, Kimberly" <[1]Kimberly.Poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
   Date: Tue, July 27, 2010 7:27 am
   To: <[2]histonet <@t> lis   Hi there,
   I  am  currently  using  rat  brain for histology but something is not
   working.    Station
   Solution
   Routine (mins)
   1
   Formalin
   10
   2
   Formalin
   10
   3
   70% Ethanol
   60
   4
   80% Ethanol
   240
   5
   96% Ethanol
   240
   6
   100% Ethanol
   240
   7
   Xylene
   120
   8
   Xylene
   120
   9
   Xylene
   120
   10
   Paraffin Wax
   120
   11
   Paraffin Wax
   180
   12
   Paraffin Wax
   180
   TOTAL TIME
   27 hours 20 minutes
   I  embedded  my  brains  and  then cut them afterwards. When the brain
   section  h   Then  it  spreads  re   paraffin  the  brain  bursts  open     something  wrong  in  the processing stage? Is    too much. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.<   Kimberly Poole [3]B.Sc
   Casualty Management Section | Section de la gestion des blessés
   Defence  Research  and  Development  Canada  Suffield  |  Recherche et
   dévelo   Medicine Hat, AB, Canada T1A 8K6
   [4]kimberly.poole <@t> drdc-rdd   mberly.poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
   Telephone   |   Téléphone   403-544-5347   /   Facsimile   |
   Téléco   Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada