[Histonet] Brain Problems

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 18:57:49 CDT 2010

The fixation time is too short.

Fix as long as you can (how about 2-3 days at least for brain?)

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Poole, Kimberly
Sent: Wednesday, 28 July 2010 12:28 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Brain Problems

Hi there,

I am currently using rat brain for histology but something is not working. I follow the protocol below for tissue processing.

Station

Solution

Routine (mins)

1

Formalin

10

2

Formalin

10

3

70% Ethanol

60

4

80% Ethanol

240

5

96% Ethanol

240

6

100% Ethanol

240

7

Xylene

120

8

Xylene

120

9

Xylene

120

10

Paraffin Wax

120

11

Paraffin Wax

180

12

Paraffin Wax

180

TOTAL TIME

27 hours 20 minutes

I embedded my brains and then cut them afterwards. When the brain section hits the water, it looks like a blob of fat on the water. Then it spreads reall, really slowly. If a cut is made to the paraffin the brain bursts open and it falls apart. Am I doing something wrong in the processing stage? Is the tissue dehydrated too much. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kimberly Poole B.Sc

Casualty Management Section | Section de la gestion des blessés

Defence Research and Development Canada Suffield | Recherche et développement pour la défense Canada Suffield

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada T1A 8K6

kimberly.poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca <mailto:kimberly.poole <@t> drdc-rddc.gc.ca>

Telephone | Téléphone 403-544-5347 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 403-544-4714

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.