[Histonet] Vendors of Specimen Tracking Systems

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Sat Jul 24 22:52:09 CDT 2010

>From a vendor's perspective, we have not heard anything bad about any of
these vendors.  However, something else you might want to keep in mind is
the objective of your implementation and what constraints you have on your
implementation.

For instance, at the most basic level, I've seen implementations where the
sole objective was to address the issue of illegible writing on blocks or
slides.  For this laboratory, the purchase of cassette and slide labelers
appeared to solve their needs.

On the other hand, if you'd like to address workflow issues within the
histology area, a solution with the appropriate printers and software is a
better choice.

The ultimate solution, in my opinion, is an implementation of printers and
software within the Anatomic Pathology LIS.  Such an implementation
addresses workflow issues not only within the histology area, but throughout
the department.  An example of this might be the tracking of slides as they
enter your stainer and an expected stain complete time viewable by a
pathologist in the same query screen as all other case data is displayed.

For many institutions, though, there is a constraint to use the existing LIS
and many existing LIS vendors do not incorporate an existing tracking or
workflow solution.  If this is the situation, then the next best choice is
the implementation of an 'add on' type solution.

May I suggest that since the annual NSH convention is just around the
corner, that you check out the vendor selections in Seattle.  Not only will
we be there demonstrating our LIS with a built in workflow and tracking
solution, but of course the other vendors will be there demonstrating their
wares.  Pick their brains, take what everyone says with a grain of salt, and
think about what you're really trying to achieve.

If you'd like to pick my brain ahead of time, please feel free to email me
directly.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 952.241.7369