[Histonet] Cryostat Decontamination

malbenatti <@t> gmail.com malbenatti <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:47:02 CDT 2010

Hy Karyrn.

As my lab carry frozen section daily, the decontamination/fumigation of the
cryostat on a daily basis is not practical as we do not have a back up
cryostat. Also after every frozen section, we make sure that the Cryostat is
get disinfected of any fresh tissue trimming with 70 % alcohol.
Every friday night the cryostat get set-up for fumigation and get
decontaminated weekly using Formaldehyde vapour/ then we neutralise them
with ammonia, according to manufacturer recommendation (Thermo Scientific),
though the fumigation will not activate until Sunday night so Week-end
On-Call staff can carry urgent Frozen sections if needed.  Each
decontamination/fumigation cycle is then Log, for CPA purposes.

Hope this helps

Malika

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Myers, Karyn" <KarynMyers <@t> texashealth.org>
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:57:35 -0500
Subject: [Histonet] Cryostat Decontamination

Hello,
Our Hospital has several Frozen Section Rooms, each of which have 1 to 2
cryostats.
The majority of our cryostats are the newer models, with the built in
Ultraviolet Radiation Disinfection cycle (runs every afternoon.)  However,
we still have a couple of the older models that do not have an automatic
disinfection cycle.    What are other institutions currently doing to
disinfect their cryostats.
Any information/policy will be greatly appreciated,
Karyn

The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are prohibited from copying, distributing, or using the information.  Please
contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your system.

--
" Smile .... it confuses people  "