[Histonet] 20% NaOH Nail pre-Treatment... Questions

Due, Brice BDUE <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Jan 27 16:14:58 CST 2010

Hello Rene, thank you very much for the paper you sent me! I will read it
tomorrow.

> 20% NaOH is too strong.

Actually, floating 4um nail sections on 20% NaOH does work. Very well. We just
validated it today and the attending/staff derm path people are very happy with
the results. We will continue to "float" difficult nails until we implement and
validate a pre-soak protocol in the grossing lab. The key to making foatation
work well is to re-float the sections on a regular water bath for several
minutes to rinse out the NaOH. Residual NaOH will prevent adhesion to even the
stickiest slides.

My guess is the keratin network is crosslinked in many ways, and the NaOH
treatment is degrading only some of them. What I have observed with 4um sections
is they flatten out and "spread" while floating on NaOH -- very similar to how
nail clippings swell up when soaked in 20% NaOH. Of course this can go too far
and leave you with mush, but 4um sections can certainly withstand 20% NaOH (warm
~40C, not RT) for at least 15min. The derm pathologist said the morphology
looked good.

There's always more than one way... :)

Thanks again for the paper!
-brice