[Histonet] Nails

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 17:29:17 CDT 2008

it's a good thing you asked.
I let my nails (well not my nails personally, but the specimen nails) soak
in 20% ammonium hydroxide or 20% sodium hydroxide for at least 1 hour
(sodium hydroxide works better, but whatever you can get). Then I rinse the
blocks in running water for 2-3 minutes, then place in formalin for normal
processing. When cutting, I use positive slides with a waterbath filled with
distilled water (if you use an adhesive, you will be defeating the purpose
of the charged slides) cut at 4 microns and place in an 80 C oven for 15
minutes. Make sure that the slides are completely dried before beginning
staining (if the slides are still  a little wet, I put them in front of a
small fan to blow off all the water). My lab performs at least 10 blocks per
day and we don't have problems with the H&E or the PAS/fungus. Hey, that's
why they call me Joe, the Toe.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Godfrey Guerzon" <guerzong <@t> yahoo.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:54 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Nails

We are having problems getting nail sections to stick to the slide. They
almost always fall off the slide during H&E staining. We use plus slides and
various adhesives - sta-on, hairspray, etc. with no success.

Is there anybody that can help me by sharing their secret method to get nail
sections survibe H&E staining without falling off?

Please help!!!!

Thanks.

Godfrey