[Histonet] Coverslipping

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Wed Jan 27 07:15:54 CST 2010

Before the days of automatic coverslippers, I have seen coverslipping done in large quantities from above and from below. I guess it depends what you are comfortable with. In either event, you want to get a "squeegee" effect so no air bubbles are trapped in the mountant. You need more control when coverslipping thick sections, or whole mounts. With Canada balsem, there was less problem with drying back, but that is all history now.
One technologist I saw at a London hospital would coverslip and then dip the whole slide in xylene and then wipe it off . It worked surprisingly well.

Mike Titford
USA Pathology
Mobile AL USA