[Histonet] Re: Wright-Giemsa stain

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:26:33 CST 2010

Kimberly Marshall asks: >>I am from a small hospital where due to the
size, Histology does the
Bone Marrows. We go to the procedure, make the smears, as well as do
the Wright-Giemsa stain.  I am having a hard time getting the Wright's
stain dark enough for my pathologist. I have added stain time, checked
the pH of my stain, tried different rinses and buffers, but still not
getting it dark enough. I do go back to the stain for 45 minutes or
more and that will get it at least close to what they want. Is there
anyone out there that can give me some advise on this stain?<<

There are many possibilities. First thing I'd do is get a new bottle
of stain, preferably from a different source. Very small amounts of
water contaminating the stock bottle are ruinous.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN