[Histonet] Tendon processing question

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Jan 21 13:44:36 CST 2010

I would use formic acid as a decalcification agent, it works well with
IHC.  We have processed quite a few tendons and we find that you also
need a longer processing cycle, 1 - 1.5 hours per station.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
office (303) 682-3949
fax (303) 682-9060
www.premierlab.com

Ship to Address:
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, Colorado 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joel
Reichensperger
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:14 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tendon processing question

We are looking for the best way to process tendon (specifically rabbit)
that has been severed and then repaired. Currently they are removing the

tendon, rinsing it in PBS and then putting it in a cassette in formalin.

The problem I am having is that there appears to be some calcification
or some other hardening at the area of the repair which is causing the
sections to shred when they are cut. We are thinking about using a
decalcification agent, but not sure if one is better than another for
this type of tissue. We intend to due IHC on the slides once they are
cut. Does anyone have any experience with this problem and would be
willing to help me out?

Thanks,

Joel Reichensperger

--