[Histonet] Slide writer

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Wed Jan 20 09:19:56 CST 2010

Hi Sharon,

We have 5 Slidemates from Fisher.  These units were previously
manufactured/marketed by Accuplace and were called PSLIM's.  We have a
unit set up at each microtome.  Our cassettes are barcoded, and we
simply scan the barcode on the cassette, tell the unit how many slides
we want, and our slide is ready before the section is cut and laid out
on the waterbath.  This method allows positive identification, because
you are printing the slide at the time you are cutting the block - no
batch printing.  We have had issues with the quality of the print on the
slides and some jamming issues, but Accuplace and Fisher have addressed
these issues.  I love the units despites these occasional setbacks and
highly recommend them.

Laurie Colbert
Huntington Hospital
Pasadena, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sharon.Davis-Devine
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:49 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Slide writer

Hello Histonetters!  I know this has been discussed before but at the
time we did not need this instrument so I didn't pay much attention to
the posts.

So here is my request.  We need a new slide writer.  We currently have a
Thermo Electron Microwriter which must be a lemon because we have had
nothing but problems with it.  We want to replace this instrument with
one that we can count on.  So please all you labs out there that have a
slide writer let me know what kind of slide writer you use and how it
has performed for you.  Thanks so much.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)

Cytology-Histology  Supervisor

Carle Foundation Hospital