[Histonet] NYS Licensing Examination Update

NYSHisto litepath2000 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 13:33:57 CST 2010

Hi Everyone
We have excellent news......!! we have just received this update from the New York State Office of Professions regarding the examination procedures and eligibility for licensing in NYS, Please see below.
Since this is "hot off the press" information, I am sure there will be questions but please be patient as the procedures are formally written and posted on the website (http://www.op.nysed.gov/).  For those of you who want to be updated regularly on whats going on in NY, please join the New York State Histotechnological Society message board at: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSHS1972/ If you have questions regarding licensing in NYS please feel free to contact us by email.
Regards
Luis Chiriboga & Amy Farnan,  NYSHS Legislative Committee

-------

Within the past few weeks, our contract with ASCP for our candidates to use the ASCP exam for licensure as a certified histological technician has been approved by the State Comptroller and we have begun to implement the use of this examination.  Applicants for licensure as certified histological technician will use the same examination, during the five year period for the contract, as is used by ASCP for their certification purposes.  But, these are separate procedures.  Applicants for licensure pay the fee for the exam that is established by our contract, have scores reported directly to us, and have the right to take the examination as often as needed.  The same persons may also want a certificate from ASCP.  If so, they will have to apply to ASCP for this certificate, pay their fee, meet their requirements, and take the examination according to their specifications.  These are totally separate processes.  We simply contract for the examination
 and do not endorse the ASCP certification.

For persons who have applied for this license recently, we may have issued a limited permit and they will have to take the examination prior to licensure during the one year period that the permit is valid.  There are also some persons who have received a limited license as a certified histological technician.  These persons will have to meet not only the examination, but the full education requirements.

For those persons who hold a limited permit and did take and pass the examination after September 1, 2001, their examination results may be used for licensure purposes and they will not have to retake the examination.  Anyone who took the examination prior to September 1, 2001 will have to take the examination now for it to be used for licensure.  We have received a number of score reports from ASCP on applicants who now hold a limited permit, and we will now be processing the applications for licensure, as long as all requirements are met.

Finally, a note on another topic.  There are many persons who work as histological technicians who were originally licensed as certified clinical laboratory technicians and who may also be licensed as certified histological technicians.  The reregistration period for the license as a certified clinical laboratory technician may now be expiring.  These person have the choice of reregistering as a certified clinical laboratory technician or placing that registration in an "inactive status," (and they must inform us if that is their intention) or of maintaining both registrations, or of placing their registration, when it comes up, on an "inactive status."  Both licenses will continue unexpired for life unless removed by disciplinary action, but the person may only practice in the areas authorized under the scope of the profession in which they are licensed and registered.  The scope of both licenses authorize the practice of histological technician.

Kathleen

Dr. Kathleen M. Doyle
Executive Secretary
kdoyle2 <@t> mail.nysed.gov
518-474-3817, ext. 150

-------
Luis Chiriboga Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Vice President New York State Histotechnological Society
NYSHS Website
www.nyhisto.org
NYSHS Message Board
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSHS1972/