[Histonet] Policy on Floaters

Bill B. bill501 <@t> mindspring.com
Thu Jan 7 12:41:50 CST 2010

At 9:19 AM -0800 1/7/10, Morken, Tim wrote:
>I assure you "floaters" are not trivial in a diagnostic setting. Imagine a case biopsied for suspected melanoma. The tissue appears clear of melanoma but on the edge there is a small piece that is suspicious. But other slides do not show that piece and it is not in the block. Was it cut through? Is it a floater? Is it real? Investigations ensue. Even genetic testing of the fragment may be done to resolve the issue. <<<

Yes, but most floaters are obvious. Most common, IME, are chorionic villi. Granted a rare one can be a diagnostic conundrum and must be worked up appropriately. I think it a waste of time and resources to investigate and document every one encountered, beyond marking them on the slide as a floater. If they are becoming common then their source must be investigated.

Bill