[Histonet] Special stains

Karin Groeger KGroeger <@t> USLABS.net
Tue Jan 5 13:33:35 CST 2010

I agree, we are validating some new instruments now and have found a lot of variables.

Karin Groeger

Histology Supervisor

US LABS, Irvine,CA

949-450-0145 ext. 649

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:28 AM
To: Rene J Buesa
Cc: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Dorothy LWebb
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Special stains

In the end it is still a new instrument. It should be validated for all
the stains you do on it. This would seem like best practice to me.

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/05/2010 11:38 AM

"'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>,
Dorothy LWebb <Dorothy.L.Webb <@t> HealthPartners.Com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Histonet] Special stains

Dorothy:
I would NOT do it.
If you do not change the procedure it does not really matter which auto
stainer you use. Your "validation" is the reaction of your control that
should react as before.
As a matter of fact, I would be more inclined to made a validation if you
change your control rather than if you change the auto stainer.
If, for example, you are doing IHC and your dilution has been "fine tuned"
for a given tissue control and you change the tissue, you will need to
"fine tune" the dilution to have the same reaction strength of the epitope
in the new control, but you will not have to change your procedure. That
is why I always used IHC internal controls, and by using "normal strength
epitopes" I don't have to keep validating.
That is also why I always shied away from using pathological cases to use
as epitope controls.
So, I would not advise you to go through validation because of changing
the auto stainer, as long as the procedure is the same.
René J.

--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Webb, Dorothy L <Dorothy.L.Webb <@t> HealthPartners.Com>