[Histonet] light staining

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Feb 9 18:23:40 CST 2010

I would have a look at the haematoxylin stained section before you
differentiate.

Does it look OK? If it does then do not differentiate, blue only. (also
someone has not accidently put acid in the blueing solution? Check with
apH papers). You might try extending the Hx time.
If it still looks pale after the eosin, then the acid in the eosin is
continuing the differentiation process. Extend your Hx staining time &
decrease the eosin time.

If it is a young Hx then you might find that the staining improves with
time (ie it "ripens").

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA