[Histonet] Frozen Specimen Handling

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Wed Dec 22 16:52:13 CST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John
Shelley
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen Specimen Handling

Hi HistoLand,

I have a question regarding frozen specimen handling. I have a group
that gave  me hearts, brown fat and white fat and there are some issues
with the morphology of the tissue and also the cutting quality.
Unfortunately I was part of the whole process from tissue harvesting to
cutting and staining of specimens. We placed harvested tissue in a cryo
mold with OCT and snap froze the block in LN2 and then placed on dry
ice. I know sometimes the quick freeze can cause some effects but was
wondering how others are addressing the freezing of tissue, especially
fat. We have frozen fat this way before and did not have the same
issues. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

Kind Regards!

John Shelley