[Histonet] Frozen Specimen Handling

John Shelley jshelley <@t> sanfordburnham.org
Wed Dec 22 14:36:39 CST 2010

Hi HistoLand,

I have a question regarding frozen specimen handling. I have a group that gave  me hearts, brown fat and white fat and there are some issues with the morphology of the tissue and also the cutting quality. Unfortunately I was part of the whole process from tissue harvesting to cutting and staining of specimens. We placed harvested tissue in a cryo mold with OCT and snap froze the block in LN2 and then placed on dry ice. I know sometimes the quick freeze can cause some effects but was wondering how others are addressing the freezing of tissue, especially fat. We have frozen fat this way before and did not have the same issues. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

Kind Regards!

John Shelley