[Histonet] Re: muscle stain

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Wed Aug 18 08:18:45 CDT 2010

There is an immunofluorescence technique that uses wheat germ agglutinin
(WGA) conjugated to a fluorophore (usually FITC). WGA binds only to the
cell periphery, leaving you with beautiful traces of the outside of each
cell. The cell area is then simple to analyze with ImageJ or any other
software program. It's often used to measure cardiomyocyte size in
hypertrophy studies. I can provide a protocol if requested.

If you have access to this article, there is a detailed description of the
technique and great images: Regional changes in myocyte structure in model
of canine right atrial hypertrophy. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 267:
H1279-H1287, 1994. P. C. Dolber, R. P. Bauman, J. C. Rembert and J. C.
Greenfield Jr.

If not, here is a freely accessible publication. Figure 9, panel B shows
what the result looks like. Cardiomyocyte GATA4 functions as a
stress-responsive regulator of angiogenesis in the murine heart. J Clin
Invest. 2007; 117(11):3198.
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/32573/figure/9

Andrea Marion
Graduate Student