[Histonet] please enter

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Aug 13 13:45:51 CDT 2010

Mohamed,

Deposition of C4d is an inactive fragment of C4b (derived from complement component C4). It provides in-situ evidence of complement activation following alloantibody binding to graft vasculature.

As such, the development of antibodies against C4d has dramatically improved the ability to diagnose antibody mediated rejection (AMR).

We use the C4d (along with C3d) antibody from Cell Marque to investigate heart, lung and kidney biopsies for antibody mediated rejection in transplanted organs - in fact many consider C4d immunohistochemistry to be the gold standard for evaluation of AMR.

C4d has also been postulated as a specific marker in the differential diagnosis of Follicular Lymphoma vs MALT lymphoma (Pathology - Research and Practice 2007; 203:163-167)

Ronnie Houston, MS HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager

ChildLab, a Division of Nationwide Children's Hospital

www.childlab.com

700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
(P) 614-722-5450