[Histonet] Patient identifiers and odds and ends

Jeffrey Silverman pathmaster <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 16:59:11 CDT 2010

Bill is quite right and I was wrong to lump State and CAP together in requiring two identifiers at all steps. But finding room for two tiny initials on the cassette and in process slide is not contortionist and has served us quite well in avoiding errors.

By the way, just give them a little more time and they'll require two identifiers on cassettes soon enough, I'm sure. NY State is quite big on risk assessment for misidentification since some well publicized breast core biopsy mix-ups resulting in unneeded mastectomies.

The main and perhaps the only reasons to examine toenails are to find fungal infections or maybe a subungual melanoma.

Jeff Silverman