[Histonet] 379A927A452F3D43A3C8705F4E67905F0FBB0F9460@EX05.net.ucsf.edu

Andrew Burgeson napoli <@t> siscom.net
Wed Apr 28 18:03:54 CDT 2010

Nails

Finger or toenail sections can best be processed either
through the procedures noted by Joe Nocito on this forum (HI
JOE!) or by using a method I use (which is similar.

Soften nail fragments by placing (after fixation) them into
a solution of 20% or 10% sodium hydroxide or 20%/10%
solution of potassium hydroxide.

Process as normal after frags become pliable.

Embed, face blocks and surface soften with 10% KOH again
just before rinsing off and sectioning. I suggest using plus
slide or adhesive slides.

Keep in mind that during this process it is possible to have
a melanoma underneath a nail that must be paid attention to
if the pre-operative/clinical dx states r/o MM etc. In case
there is more than fungal disorder (onychomycosis) being
diagnosed an iron stain and a melanin stain may be useful as
well. Additionally, keep in mind that if there is soft
tissue attached to the nail, it is possible to destroy the
architecture of the cells if they are treated with too
caustic of a substance. Sometimes soft tissue frags will
also be detachable or will be detached in bottle.

Hope this helps.

Andrew B
Dermatotechniques