[Histonet] microwave tissue

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Thu Apr 29 08:09:00 CDT 2010

Give your pathologist a blind study and have them tell you which are
microwave and which are conventional processed. This will tell you
"where" the problem lies!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Vickroy,
Jim
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:25 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] microwave tissue

We have just noticed an issue with our small biopsies lately.   We are
processing most of the small biopsies by a microwave processor.   We
finished our validation process about a couple of weeks ago and found
little difference between the microwave processed tissue verses
conventional processing.   Now the pathologists are telling us that the
nuclei do not seem as sharp and crisp as before.   They of course think
that the lack of sharpness is due to microwaving but obviously there are
other issues to consider.  We stain all of our biopsies on an automated
stainer.  Tomorrow we will again run some biopsies on the microwave and
some on the  conventional processor and see if there are any noticeable
difference.  Obviously if we see that the microwave tissue is not as
crisp then we may need to adjust our microwave processing program.
Another variable however was added about two weeks ago.  We switched
from Citrisolve to Clearite III on our stainer.    Has anybody
experienced similar issues with Clearite III on their automated stainer?
Any other ideas?

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor
Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046