[Histonet] Bone Marrow Clots - falling off slides

Shirley A. Powell POWELL_SA <@t> mercer.edu
Tue Apr 27 09:42:30 CDT 2010

I cut the autopsies for the ME/FBI here and have a lot of bloody tissues I lovingly call "blood bricks".  I was using charged slides but these tissue would wash really badly.  I started using regular slides and StayOn from Surgipath and have had great success with keeping these bloody tissues on the slides.  I drain the water well, heat the slides up just to the point of melting the paraffin and dry them overnight in the slide dryer to make sure, but have also dried them for 45 minutes and they have stayed on.
Shirley

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:33 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Bone Marrow Clots - falling off slides

Mary,
Thanks for the suggestion.  We do check the alcohols with a hydrometer and
if not 100%, we will use that alcohol as the base for dilution alcohols.  We
check quality of the xylene by putting 10ml of water in a graduated cylinder
and then add 10ml of the recycled xylene to it and shake it vigorosly.
Good, clean xylene should have a perfect separation and no  "mixing" with
the water.

Lynette,
I am leaning towards the processing too, but which part??  The clot seems to
be more dry than moist, so it's not under dehydrated.  Fixation? It spends 3
hours in formalin on the tissue processor and whatever time it can be in
formalin prior to the processor.  Paraffin impregnation?  About the only
thing I could think of here was if the wax wasn't changed fast enough and/or
we got too much carry over from the xylene.  Could that cause this?

Thanks for the help!

Michelle