[Histonet] RE: Mysterious artifact on GI biopsies H&E stain

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Mon Apr 26 08:48:08 CDT 2010

I would check to see what medication the patient was on or if something was done during the procedure to affect the biopsies..

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Urim, Lyudmila
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 07:24
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Mysterious artifact on GI biopsies H&E stain

> Hi,
>
> We have been getting a similar staining artifact on some GI biopsies
> randomly while the rest GI biopsies look fine.
>  Also on the affected GI biopsies there is often only 1 or 2 spots of
> the biopsy that are affected while the rest of the biopsy looks fine.
> The artifact is being reproduced on each cut; also the artifact
> doesn't disappear after the affected biopsies get reprocessed.
> The artifact can be described as a foggy, smudgy stain, with deformed
> nucleus and not enough cell details.
> All our specimens are fixed in 10%NBF.
>
> Please let me know if you have any ideas.
> Lucy
Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.