[Histonet] hematoxylin-eosin saffron

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 18 13:38:10 CDT 2010

In a good H&E, the eosin/phloxine is supposed to be 3 shades:
- RBC's/eosinophils/Paneth cells the deepest shade of pink
- muscle medium shade of pink
- collagen/connective tissue lightest shade of pink

Unfortunately, if the eosin and/or phloxine and/or eosin/phloxine does not
have the correct concentration of the eosin, pH of eosin, time in alcohols
after eosin, etc, there ends up being 2 shades of eosin, with the
collagen/CT and the muscle being the same shade.

Adding saffron in the HPS gives the collagen/CT a more yellowish shade. So
the tissue results are:
- RBC's/eosinophils/Paneth cells the deepest shade of pink
- muscle medium shade of pink
- collagen/connective tissue yellowish with a tinge of pink

Therefore, with the HPS, it's easier to differentiate muscle from
collagen/CT. But I think most pathologists can diagnose with only 2 shades
of eosin. If they need to differentiate collagen/CT from muscle (cirrhosis,
tumors), they either ask for a trichrome or IHC.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospitals
Royal Oak, MI 48073