[Histonet] hematoxylin-eosin saffron

Laurie Reilly laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Sun Apr 18 18:16:50 CDT 2010

Dear Histonetters,

We use an Eosin Y/Erythrosin B mixture containing calcium chloride in an
aqueous solution, and this, if differentiated correctly in water, gives 3
definite shades of pink. Our students are asked to find an artery to check
their differentiation and they should be able to see muscle, connective
tissue and red blood cells in three shades of pink.

This solution containing calcium chloride does need to be filtered before
use.

Regards,   Laurie.

Mr. Laurie REILLY
Histopathology
School of  Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.  4811
Australia.

Phone 07 4781 4468

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee & Peggy
Wenk
Sent: Monday, 19 April 2010 4:38 AM
To: 'Kalleberg, Kristopher'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] hematoxylin-eosin saffron

In a good H&E, the eosin/phloxine is supposed to be 3 shades:
- RBC's/eosinophils/Paneth cells the deepest shade of pink
- muscle medium shade of pink
- collagen/connective tissue lightest shade of pink

Unfortunately, if the eosin and/or phloxine and/or eosin/phloxine does not
have the correct concentration of the eosin, pH of eosin, time in alcohols
after eosin, etc, there ends up being 2 shades of eosin, with the
collagen/CT and the muscle being the same shade.

Adding saffron in the HPS gives the collagen/CT a more yellowish shade. So
the tissue results are:
- RBC's/eosinophils/Paneth cells the deepest shade of pink
- muscle medium shade of pink
- collagen/connective tissue yellowish with a tinge of pink

Therefore, with the HPS, it's easier to differentiate muscle from
collagen/CT. But I think most pathologists can diagnose with only 2 shades
of eosin. If they need to differentiate collagen/CT from muscle (cirrhosis,
tumors), they either ask for a trichrome or IHC.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospitals
Royal Oak, MI 48073