[Histonet] Re: Responses to micron thickness for Rhodanine copper

Monson, Frederick FMonson <@t> wcupa.edu
Mon Sep 28 15:24:16 CDT 2009

Once upon a time there was an investigator who used sections of testis of unspecified thickness to stain with iron hemtoxylin.  From his observations of the results, he concluded that there were two distinct populations of Sertoli cells based on his observation of two distinct populations of Sertoli cell nuclei - one darkly stained and one lightly stained.  The paper was published in Scandanavia in the late 1950's.  My unsupported conclusion was - I was very young at the time - that intact nuclei will hold more stain/dye than sectioned nuclei (not sealed to the slide) in a procedure that requires a 'differentiation' step with the mordant.

In this case, do thicker sections hold more intact cells?

Just thought I'd ask the question.

Cheers, and I miss you folks more that you miss me, I bet!

Fred Monson

Frederick C. Monson, PhD
Technical Director, CMIRT
West Chester University
West Chester, PA, 19383
610-738-0437
New Web Site:           http://cmirt.wcupa.edu/index.html

New Scheduler:          http://cmirt.wcupa.edu/cgi-bin/ureserve_gold.pl

Reads of the Month:
1.  "The Liver as a Lymphoid Organ," Ian Nicholas Crispe, Annual Review of Immunology, Apr 2009, Vol. 27: 147-163. (Access Depends on subscription.)
2. "A Personal Journey of Discovery: Developing Technology and Changing Biology," Lee Hood, Annual Review of Analytic Chemistry, Vol. 1:  1-43.