[Histonet] Re: Richard Allan Xylene

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:28:16 CDT 2009

Unlike the aliphatic hydrocarbons, I would not expect different brands
of xylene to differ from each other.

Xylene is dimethylbenzene, which has three possible isomers (ortho,
meta, and para). Commercial xylene is a mixture of the three isomers,
with some ethylbenzene present also. (That's why it's labeled
"xylenes" rather than "xylene".) The isomers differ slightly from each
other in physical and chemical properties, but I doubt that the
differences would be noticeable in the histology lab.

The company is spelled "Richard-Allan", commonly misspelled.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN