[Histonet] Re:Endogenous biotin blocking

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 13:23:46 CDT 2009

Your understanding is correct, imho.
I add  a "no primary" control on my stABCpx-DAB run whenever I am testing new tissues and assess any positivity that could be due to endogenous biotin.
You will quickly build up a knowledge of those tissues that automatically require biotin - blocking. ( eg liver, kidney)
If you are a clinical/registered Lab, you wil of course be required to buy a commercial kit.
If you are in  a research lab and find that you will need to apply biotin blocking regularly, you can make up your own avidin/biotin solutions  if costs are a major factor.
I will  be interested in other suggestions/approaches.
carl