SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] Biopsy fixation

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Wed Nov 25 16:35:17 CST 2009

You can leave it in formalin for 48-72 hours without a problem, it might be
better than fixing just for 4 hours, some say adequate formalin fixation
takes at least 24 hours no matter the size of the sample.

Best regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kalleberg,
Kristopher
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:51 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] Biopsy fixation

Hello All,

I have a simple fixation question.  Typically when we process 3 mm skin
biopsies we will fix in 10% NBF for 4 hours and then wash in PBS and
then process over night into paraffin and then embed.  If we are unable
to immediately process the 3mm skin biopsies after 4 hr fixation what is
the maximum time we can leave the biopsies in 70% alcohol before
processing into paraffin?  Is there a better reagent, such as PBS, other
than alcohol to leave the biopsy in for a few days before tissue
processing.  Thank you in advance.

Kris