[Histonet] Mouse eyes

Roger Moretz stamptrain <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 15:15:17 CST 2009

Altho' retired for 2 years, we had a protocol that retained all parts of the eye quite well.  Fixation was in 3% glutaraldehyde (diluted in H2O), 4 deg.C for overnight.  Don't extend the fixation as this will cause the tissue to be too hard.  Wash for about 1hr in running tap water and process as usual for mouse tissue (if it works for mouse liver, it will work for the eyes).

Roger Moretz, Ph.D. (ret.)

----- Original Message ----
From: "Durden, Kelley" <kelleydurden <@t> pathology.ufl.edu>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Mon, November 23, 2009 10:44:21 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Mouse eyes

My question concerns mouse eyes.

Can anyone send me their fixation suggestions?  We are receiving mouse eyes that end up with a "wavy" look instead of a nicely defined "C" and have no explanation for this occurrence.

Can anyone send me their mouse eye processing schedule?  We have a protocol that has proved fast and true but would welcome other suggestions.

Can you give me a good idea for making sure sections stick to slides well?  Gold Plus?  What else?

Has anyone experienced a retinal detachment after or upon staining?  Retina attached after sectioning - detached after staining - just routine H&E.  Should I heat for an extended period of time?

Kelley Durden, HT ASCP
University of Florida
Molecular Pathology Core