[Histonet] !0% buffered formalin corrosive?

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Nov 19 15:44:03 CST 2009

I would consider formalin corrosive regardless of the form it is in.
It is cytotoxic. That is why it kills and preserves cells and tissues so
well.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Martin,
Gary
Sent: Friday, 20 November 2009 5:09 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] !0% buffered formalin corrosive?

I have a question around 10% buffered formalin being shipped to us.  The
shipper considers this corrosive.  I have been told that if the formalin
is shipped in 6oml biopsy bottles it does not receive that "corrosive"
rating when shipped.  I have also been told that if the shipment of
formalin is on a pallet and it weights 220 lbs or more, it will not
receive the "corrosive" rating when shipped.  Can someone bring some
clarity to the "corrosive" rating for me.

Much thanks

Gary

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.