[SPAM-HC] - [Histonet] Industrial Hygienist/Fumes in lab - Email found in subject

Cazares, Ruth RCazares <@t> schosp.org
Wed Nov 18 12:35:19 CST 2009

Hi Paula,

We did the same thing with our coverslipper, venting to the ceiling and out. We also had the stainer vented out through the ceiling and this helped dramatically.  If you do vent your stainer though, you have to remove the charcoal filter, as the filter actually prevents the fumes from being sucked out efficiently.

Ruth Cazares, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology
Swedish Covenant Hospital
5145 North California Ave
Chicago, IL 60625

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Lucas
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [SPAM-HC] - [Histonet] Industrial Hygienist/Fumes in lab - Email found in subject

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  We have a small room in the lab where the coverslipper and stainer are.  We have the coverslipper attached to a fume hood which is attached to the ceiling to exhaust the fumes out of the building.  The stainer has a charcoal filter inside the unit. We have an air purifier to help with ventilation and we have a fume hood to work under as well.  With all these precautions, this area still gets a good amount of fumes lurking around for people to feel uncomfortable with.  We do the badge monitoring and are always under the limits, but I still would like to get it better.

What kind of ventilation solutions have you done to help minimize the fumes and/or do you have a contact of a Certified Industrial Hygienist? I would like one to come and take measurements or monitor the fumes in this area.

Thanks in advance,

Paula Lucas

Lab Manager

Bio-Path Medical Group