[Histonet] Re: Freezing of the sceletal muscles

Galina Deyneko galinadeyneko <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 12:13:32 CST 2009

Dear Colleagues.
I have couple questions regarding freezing of the mouse / rat muscles.
1. Frida Carson in the book recommends to measure the temperature of the isopentane during the freezing and " do not guess" but I cannot find the thermometer for -150 C. Any information where i can find the thermometer would be helpful.
2. I should freeze the gastronemicus/soleous/plantar muscle complex from rats for muscle size, typing, enzyme staining,  but i really afraid that the specimens would be too big ( even rat gastron. muscle itself is pretty big and thick) and i get a lot of ice crystal artifacts. Could you please share your experience, hints etc, how i should perform my task and receive a good quality specimens.
Thank you in advance.
Galina Dunk,
Novartis, Cambridge MA

---