[Histonet] Industrial Hygienist/Fumes in lab

Paula Lucas plucas <@t> biopath.org
Wed Nov 18 12:06:41 CST 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  We have a small room in the lab where the
coverslipper and stainer are.  We have the coverslipper attached to a fume
hood which is attached to the ceiling to exhaust the fumes out of the
building.  The stainer has a charcoal filter inside the unit. We have an air
purifier to help with ventilation and we have a fume hood to work under as
well.  With all these precautions, this area still gets a good amount of
fumes lurking around for people to feel uncomfortable with.  We do the badge
monitoring and are always under the limits, but I still would like to get it
better.

What kind of ventilation solutions have you done to help minimize the fumes
and/or do you have a contact of a Certified Industrial Hygienist? I would
like one to come and take measurements or monitor the fumes in this area.

Thanks in advance,

Paula Lucas

Lab Manager

Bio-Path Medical Group