[Histonet] ? About fixation of excessively bloody tissues

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 10:08:41 CDT 2009

The problem has nothing to do with the organs being blood covered but with the fact that they are entire and with little formalin. If they were sliced to expose the interior and placed in enough formalin it is of no importance how covered with blood externally they are.
René J.

--- On Fri, 3/27/09, Amy Porter <portera <@t> msu.edu> wrote:

From: Amy Porter <portera <@t> msu.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] ? About fixation of excessively bloody tissues
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu>
Date: Friday, March 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

Does anyone out there know of a reference that states or discusses  tissues that
a covered with a large amount of excess blood have problems with fixation.  I
have looked in the reference materials I have here in the lab, however I cannot
find anything to support my complaints to a client that state entire mouse
organs (whole liver, spleen, lung, heart...) covered in blood thrown into
onecassette with to little formalin will not be well preserved.  I know garbage
in garbage out - I am trying to get rid of the garbage.  Thanks in advance for
the help.  Amy

Amy S. Porter, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Investigative HistoPathology Laboratory - Supervisor
2201 Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg.  Rm #2133
East Lansing, MI  48824-3320
Phone:  (517) 884-5026
Fax:  (517) 432-1368
Email:  portera <@t> msu.edu