[Histonet] ? About fixation of excessively bloody tissues

Amy Porter portera <@t> msu.edu
Fri Mar 27 12:58:16 CDT 2009

Does anyone out there know of a reference that states or discusses  tissues that a covered with a large amount of excess blood have problems with fixation.  I have looked in the reference materials I have here in the lab, however I cannot find anything to support my complaints to a client that state entire mouse organs (whole liver, spleen, lung, heart...) covered in blood thrown into onecassette with to little formalin will not be well preserved.  I know garbage in garbage out - I am trying to get rid of the garbage.  Thanks in advance for the help.  Amy

Amy S. Porter, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Investigative HistoPathology Laboratory - Supervisor
2201 Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg.  Rm #2133
East Lansing, MI  48824-3320
Phone:  (517) 884-5026
Fax:  (517) 432-1368
Email:  portera <@t> msu.edu