[Histonet] More about distilled water

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Mon Mar 23 11:08:46 CDT 2009

I would like to add to the cooments of others concerning distilled water and deionised water:

1) I think most histology labs use deionised water as it is cheaper and easier? to obtain.
2) However, even deionised water will turn red with Schiff reagent.
3) For silver stain solutions, our lab uses "triple deionised" where the water passes through three tanks of resin, giving greater purity.
4) If your lab is required to be CAP complient, you will need monthly to check the resistivity and get a sample cultured.(It makes good sense even if you do not have to be CAP complient).
5) Deionised water systems can start growing Gram negative organisms in the tubing so you may want to put a filter over the actual spigot, and change that periodically.

Mike Titford
USA Pathology
Mobile AL USA