[Histonet] Quality Improvement

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:00:00 CDT 2009

Laurie, et al. -

This is what we do in my lab...

We use a computer quality control program called QPulse.  Everytime an SOP
is changed (even slightly, such as vendor or incubation time change), the
new revision is made through the QPulse Document Draft program, and in the
process of making this revision permanent, one must state what changes have
been made in a Comments box.  The SOP creator or another authorized person
within your lab must OK the new revision (online through the QP program),
and then a notification is sent out via email to all pertinent lab staff
alerting them to the new revision.  They must then Acknowledge receipt of
this email (online again), so that you are aware of who has actually read
the new revision.  All of these actions are recorded in QPulse forever.

The old revision becomes Obsolete and is permanently moved within the QPulse
computer program to an Obsolete folder (so if you needed to look it up in
years to come, it's still there).  Paper copies (if you use them) are
collected, stamped Obsolete, and put into an Obsolete binder stored in
another room.

The QPulse program also has a feature that will alert the lab supervisor via
email when an SOP is up for reviewal, if you have a system of annual
reviewals in your institution.  This is a very handy reminder tool.

Jan Shivers
Section Head
IHC/Histo/EM
UMN Vet Diag Lab