[Histonet] van Giesons for Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain can be Unna's modified VG

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Mar 19 17:48:18 CDT 2009

Unna's modified van Gieson's stain for the Rapid Bone Stain is reported to
give deeper colors than the VG recipe/solution commonly found in
histotechnology textbooks.  It contains a higher concentration of dyes but
also contains nitric acid which is going to acid etch the surface of the
bone a bit.  The resulting counterstain will have deeper colors. Be aware
that commercial solutions of van Giesons might give weaker staining.

Gayle Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT
Bozeman MT 59715

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cathy Mayton
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:33 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain

Dear Fellow Histonetters,

There are 3 counterstains that can be used with the Sanderson's Rapid Bone
Stain (RBS).  We primarily used the acidified acid fuchsin, however, we had
clients that only used a van Gieson counterstain.  Light green can also be
used.  We normally stained for 1 minute ground sections in the RBS, rinsed
in water and then counterstained.  As Gayle mentioned, intensity of the RBS
or the counterstain can be increased with addtional time.

Cathy Mayton

Wasatch Histo Consultants, Inc.