[Histonet] CPT Coding question 88342 PIN 4 cocktail

Shea's jshea121 <@t> roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 10 20:09:07 CDT 2009

We started staining prostate needle bxs w/ PIN 4 (triple stain).
1. My understanding is that we can bill for 88342 x 3 (per specimen) if a comment is made on the results of the nuclear staining and cytoplasmic staining of the DAB and the staining of the Vulcan red. The key is documentation in the report. This is simple to understand when you rec'd 1 specimen/container, but we rec'd:

A. Right prostate Bx - Red stained bx: apex
                                 Green stained bx: base
                                 Blue stained bx: midgland
                                 Yellow stained bx: transition
submitted in one Cassette A.

B. Left  prostate Bx - Red stained bx: apex
                                 Green stained bx: base
                                 Blue stained bx: midgland
                                 Yellow stained bx: transition
submitted in one Cassette B.

2. If the pathologist needed  this stain on every specimen, it would be 8 separate identifiable specimens x 3 (separate identifiable stains in the cocktail) , therefore            88342  x 24, even though it is only 2 blocks.

3. If the pathologist was only interested in this stain on on the Apex in A and B it would be 2 specimens x 3, therefore 88342 x 6 for the same 2 blocks (even though it stains all 8 specimens, only 2 of the 8 are in need of this stain).

   Another words, we can't charge the technical component until we find out how many specimens the pathologist is looking at in a slide (professional component), even though it is the same amount of work and reagents.  Does this sound right?

4. Is the technical charge always the same as the professional charge?

Another unrelated question - We can bill for decalcification, but is there a billing code for  KOH in the same manner to soften and treat toenails before processing? It is documented in the Path report.
I know this has been discussed in the archives, but there seems to be conflicting opinions. Do we know for sure?
Thanks