[Histonet] CPT Coding question 88342 PIN 4 cocktail

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Wed Mar 11 10:01:00 CDT 2009

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself to be a coding expert. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I've never seen coding for softening of keratin therefore I don't see how you could charge for it. This is not decalcification and should not be represented as such. Until such time as a code appears (don't hold your breath) the KOH or whatever technique you employ is for your convenience to make a block more cuttable (is that a word?).

There is no rule that technical and professional charges must be the same. They are reimbursed differently, sometimes the technical having a higher reimbursement than the professional. You are free to set your charges for each where you see fit.

I believe that your charges for prostate IHC have to be justified by the pathology. In your example, some of those cores may be clearly benign and there would be no basis for charging IHC for eight cores if only one or two contain the lesion. In your case, by having four cores in one block, you benefit by keeping your expenses down however I do believe that your IHC charges should (must?) be based on the location of the lesion under study. It would seem to me that charging for IHC on eight cores when the report describes a lesion in only one is asking for trouble

You are correct that you can charge 88342 x 3 for the PIN 4 markers as each is separate and can be visualized distinctly from one another.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309