[Histonet] Tissue RE-processing

Armando Tellez atellez <@t> crf.org
Tue Mar 10 08:02:25 CDT 2009

Hi to everybody,

I have a problem with a recent processing tissue. Normally I process
tissue that is very small such as 3mm thick of vessel rings or small
cubes of myocardium. Couple of days ago we process a batch of myocardial
sections that are really thick. I thought might be thick enough my
protocol to perfuse completely. I was wrong it was too thick after the
overnight protocol the sections were moist and soft. Of course I didn't
even try to embedded them. Question, what can I do now? Can I reprocess
them? Once they certain amount of wax in them can I put them again
through the alcohols and xylenes and again through paraffin? Or is
better just to dry them immersing them in alcohol? I just change the
solutions of the processor so before actually going ahead and process
them again I preferred to ask since I wouldn't like to get all the
solutions dirty with wax with the need to rechange them once again.

I appreciate your answers and help.

Armando Tellez
atellez <@t> crf.org
Pathology Department
Cardiovascular Research Foundation
Skirball Center for Cardiovascular Research
8 Corporate Drive
Orangeburg, New York,10962