[Histonet] staining brain vessels

anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 5 08:15:48 CST 2009

You could use CD31 but would need to digest first as it doesn't work well in fixed tissue without enzymatic retrieval.

CD34 is a gem for brain vessels in paraffin so might work in fixed frozen as well.

Andrea

------Original Message------
From: iskaliora
Sender: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: ΕΛΕΝΗ ΚΟΝΣΟΛΑΚΗ
Sent: Mar 5, 2009 5:17 AM
Subject: [Histonet] staining brain vessels

I was wondering if anybody might have an idea with the following
problem we are experiencing:  we want to stain for blood vessels in
sections of mouse brain.  Our experimental tissues have been fixed
overnight in 4% paraformaldehyde and have been sitting in PBS since.
We have tried staining with antibodies against desmin, SMA, and
collagen but we get NO specific signal.  We recently tried a non-fixed
mouse brain and got desmin to work immediately.  The problem is that
we need to use the fixed brains because they are our experimental
model and it would take too long (2 years to be exact) to generate the
same samples.  If anybody has come across such a problem before, or
has a specific protocol for vessels that works on PFA fixed brain, we
would appreciate the suggestions!
thanks in advance!
Irini

Irini Skaliora, PhD
Investigator C᾽ (Assistant Professor)
Developmental Biology Division
Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens (BRFAA)
Soranou Efessiou 4
Athens 11527
tel. +30-210-6597203 (office)
tel. +30-210-6597482 (lab)