[Histonet] RE: vector blue- xylene soluble- any alternatives

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Thu Mar 5 08:01:51 CST 2009

Hi Patsy and Anjan Kumar,
VectaMount is not aqueous, but an organic mountant too. It does not contain alcohol or xylene, in fact it hardly smells. It certainly does not mix with water. We use this mountant by washing the slide with distilled water and then let it dry completely at a 50C hotplate. Coverslip and leave it at the hotplate for an hour or so to let it harden a bit. Vectamount is not getting hard like DPX.
Cheers,
Chris

Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academic Medical Center M2-230
Meibergdreef 9
NL-1105 AZ Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 14:38:57 -0700
From: "Patsy Ruegg" <pruegg <@t> ihctech.net>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] vector blue- xylene soluble- any alternatives
To: "'anjan kumar'" <drvet_anjan <@t> hotmail.com>,

If I am not mistaken vectamount is an aqueous mountant, dpx is
xylene/toluene based and requires going thru alcohols and xylene to mount.
One thing I do and you can try it, is airdry the slides and the use
permanent mounting media without going thru alcohols and xylene, keep in
mind there is a little solvent in the media so it may have an effect.  I do
this with Fast Red substrate chromogen for AP have not tried it on vector
blue.  The other option is to use an aqueous mountant and seal the coverslip
edges with clear nail polish.
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech